Monday, May 31, 2004

I've changed my gym. This one is called "Slimline Gym". This will be my 4'th gym

now. Admittedly, the names of these gyms have been pretty cliched : Image Gym,

Power Gym(Now Gold Gym), Juvenile Health Spa( Now Power Gym.I sat on the

owners head until he changed the name, It took me a long time to explain the

meaning of juvenile). So now the latest is Slimeline Gym.

My very first gym was Image Gym. It was a place where my friends and I would

religiously assemble each morning and have amazing workouts for our mouths as

we gossiped away. We really didnt know too much about working out. Often

some wise guy would come up to me and say " You're doing the exercise all

wrong, thats not the way to work your biceps!" to which I'd retort " Atleast I'm

working out some muscle arent I??" My friends and I thought that just by heaving

a few weights, we'd become huge and muscular. In fact, in a months time, I began

to feel huge and muscular, sneering at mere mortals who didnt lift weights. My ego

ruptured however when I visited my school and all my teachers told me I looked

thin and sickly. Apparently, just lifting weights wasnt enough. I did a lot of research

on the net. You had to lift heavy, lift proper, eat right and take lots of rest. None of

which I was doing.

My friend then visited Power gym and found it a lot more spacious, the equipment

wasnt old and rusty as it was in Image and the instructors had impressive

physiques. So we left image and came to Power (which we hadnt chosen the first

time because it looked like a "rowdy" gym). Power was a good place, but I

disliked going to Besant Nagar every day after college. So when they opened a

new branch in Adyar, I left Power. So now it was Juvenile Health Spa.

Some of my complaints against Juvenile Health spa are that its too small, getting

too crowded( which means I'm wasting too much time just waiting for equipment).

My biggest complaint however, is that the Pull Up's bar sucks. Its part of another

bench and I feel so uncomfortable doing the exercise I love the most. I cant move

up without banging and bruising my knees against the bench. The dips bars are

located on the same bench and everything shakes violently when I perform the

exercise. I guess the only real convenience this gym provided was that it was really

close to my place.

Slimline gym is spacious, has excellent equipment and there are always a few

trainers around to help you. Its all very professional. They also have some very

strict rules. What does tick me off though is that you have to work out in a T shirt

or shirt. You cant walk around in your banian. Also, you cant use the treadmill

unless you are on the weight loss program. Grrr.

When I had my first workout yesterday, the trainer told me I was doing the bench

press all wrong and I lacked balance. He treated me like I was a babe in the

woods. I was insulted, but you know what? He was right. I was doing it all wrong.

So I've decided to swallow my pride and try to get things right.

So lets see how this gym works out for me.

No comments: